Monday, March 9, 2009

Friday Mahem

Usually I post pictures. Today I have a story to tell. Friday when I got up, I noticed something about the shower pressure. It was low - "I think I'm getting wet" low. I had just gotten an EMWD statement in the mail talking about water rationing and tiered pricing so my thoughts were along the lines of, "man, they weren't kidding!!" After the shower, I tried the kitchen sink, and when it was a light flow, I began investigating.

As soon as I went around the side of the house, I knew. A solid pool of water up against the side of our house, down the entire length of the house, overflowing onto the concrete path and lapping up against Abby's playhouse. I'm really not exaggerating.

Two words came to mind: water main. I ran around the house to the main sprinkler control box. Looked at the water meter thing. No button or lever looked like it shut off all the water in our yard. Of course John is out of town. Didn't answer the phone. Neighbor? First one not home. John texts: Do you need me to leave the preaching session (at Shepherd's conference) and call you? I text: YES!!

Where is the water main? In the very back corner of the pond. I put on John's big boots and wade to where I know the green box is. John had me fish around with my foot to find the cover for the main. Then he says: Just pry off the lid and reach down about 9 inches. You'll find a lever and pull it up.

Boys might not have a problem with this, but as I looked at the brown water, with dead bugs and worms floating on the top I REALLY wished John was home! But I knew I HAD to do it. I felt like Sam Gamgee looking at the black gates of Mordor who said, "There's nothing for it, Mr. Frodo. We've got to go in there."

The deed was done, some water bailed, the rest went down a great drain that John put in, our yard is very well watered. :0)

Ladies, do you know where your water main is??

6 comments:

The Tracys said...

Unbelievable. Why must these things happen when our hubbies are absent?? I'm adding "locate water main" to my to-do list!

Hannah Sivilay said...

Yes I do know where our water main is...and only cause ours broke THREE times since we have been married!!! (it was a manufacturing problem, and actually has happened to several of our neighbors)And every time it broke it was a Sunday! So obviously there was no one to come out and fix it. I feel for ya Beth!

Unknown said...

that is funny!!! i am sorry - i would have been screaming for Sammy - too bad Abby is so young...when she gets older, she won't mind the bugs!

and no...I don't know where mine is - I think it's down by the street??? I better ask!

Miller Family said...

water main? Oh know- we better have a class- thank goodness I have boys! Although I have a feeling they would have been swimming in it, having a great old time!

Brianne said...

Oh dear! What an "adventure!" ;)

Amy said...

I think its the Pacific ocean. Good thing its only a couple of minutes away. (just kidding-its out back under our Magnolia tree)